A few years ago, I had a client tell me that she shops at four different grocery stores every week. I looked at her like she was batshit crazy. Now, I’ve become her, with trips to Milam’s, Target and Whole Foods rounding out my regular run to Trader Joe’s.
Trader Joe’s. I love it for their friendly staff and even friendlier pricing, but I curse Joe and his bad Hawaiian shirts every time I take a children’s shopping cart to the achilles…
In all seriousness, I make the extra trip to other stores for steaks, seafood and my favorite brands of pasta, Greek yogurt and canned tomatoes, but I do get the bulk of my shopping done at TJ’s. There’s a lot that I think they do really well: frozen fruits, nut butters, organic chicken, ground beef and turkey, to name a few. I won’t bore you with the basics, but here’s a list of some favorite specialty products, as requested!
- Haricots Verts – Perfectly trimmed and great for pickling.
- Persian Cucumbers –Petite, cute & crunchy.
- Baby San Marzano Tomatoes (featured image above) – These are my favorite tomatoes. They’re deep red, firm and sweet— good cooked or raw.
- Unexpected Cheddar – This is a TJ’s cult favorite. It tastes like a blend of cheddar and parmesan. If you don’t know, now you know.
- Organic Açaí Puree Packets – I mentioned frozen fruit in general, but this is a daily smoothie staple.
- Organic Brown Rice – Ready in just three minutes in the microwave, and it’s perfect. Every. Time.
- Organic Riced Cauliflower – The other half to my Golden Rice, and because ricing your own cauliflower makes a huge effing mess.
- Handmade Flour Tortillas – These are my favorite tortillas. I love the size and texture.
- Harvest Grains Blend – Israeli couscous, red quinoa, orzo and baby garbanzo beans— I usually add feta and cucumber for a colorful salad or side.
- Some Enchanted Crackers – Salty and buttery, just the way you want crackers to be.
- Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend – Toasted sourdough, whipped cream cheese and this. What bagel?
- Spices – TJ’s doesn’t carry many spices, but I find that what they do have is usually well priced, like turmeric.
- Giant Peruvian Inca Corn – This is my latest happy hour snack. I’m addicted.
Yes, I buy wine at Trader Joe’s, but I rarely stray from these two:
- Red: Revelation Cabernet-Merlot Blend – Big, fruity and easy drinking.
- White: Chateau Seguin “Sauvignon de Seguin,” Bordeaux – Dry, crisp and fruity – a “patio-pounder” if you will.
I’ll leave it at that! Happy shopping, friends!